These are the ideas that will shape the year ahead in restaurants from tech to design to finance and beyond.
— Jason Clampet
We’ve just released our first annual restaurant industry trends forecast, Skift Megatrends 2018. You can read about each of the trends on Skift Table as well as download a copy of our magazine — featuring our travel trends as well — here.
Skift Table begins its first full calendar year of operation by naming and exploring the big-picture ideas that will define the business of restaurants in 2018. We define the future of dining out by all of the technological, social, and business decisions that impact the business.
The ideas that we’ll explore over the next two weeks were informed by our focus on the restaurant industry since we launched our restaurants newsletter in September 2016. They represent high-level trends and examples of innovation across the business of dining out, and are the ideas we’ll follow closely in the coming year.
These are the 11 Megatrends we will define over the next two weeks:
- Next-Generation Restaurants Fight the Delivery Boom With Immersive Experiences
- Fast Food Drops the Corporate Voice in Favor of Personality
- Restaurants Make Sustainability Visible
- Fine Casual Is the New Fast Casual
- Restaurant Design Is Having a ‘More Is More’ Moment
- Chains Turn to Famous Chefs for Menu Development
- Real-Life Delivery Logistics Will Always Challenge the Ambitious Algorithm
- Content Provides the Path to Bot Recommendations
- Bucket List Dining Is Driving Culinary Tourism for Better or Worse
- Digital Ordering and Cashless Transactions Will Create Diner Haves and Have-Nots
- Investors and Private Equity Are Radically Remaking Independent Restaurant Groups
Email me at [email protected] if you have any feedback or want to work with Skift to continue to define the future of this amazing industry we all love.