A new eBook from Johnson & Wales University’s College of Online Education lets data, successful students and alumni in the field, and a distinguished professor answer how a degree can make all the difference.
Hospitality professionals often question if they need a degree to reach their career goals. This new eBook by Johnson & Wales University’s College of Online Education, What Can You Do With a Hospitality Degree?, gives an overview of popular careers in the industry, a behind-the-scenes look at how leaders in the field have advanced their careers, and why a degree matters in today’s hospitality industry.
The eBook includes:
● A spotlight on five common hospitality careers, including the degrees and skills typically needed, employment estimates, job growth projections, and median salaries.
● An interview with Christal Byars, East Region Revenue Management Director of Marriott International and a forthcoming MBA graduate, on what she’s learned about succeeding in the hospitality industry in her 21 years at Marriott.
● A Q&A with Subhash Modasra, an MBA Hospitality student and Market Manager of Lodging Partner Services at Expedia Inc., about how he draws from his hospitality expertise to succeed in his role at Expedia, advice he’d give to someone starting out in the hospitality space, and future trends he expects to see in the field.
● An look inside professional sport ticket sales through a conversation with Casie St. Gelais, who is currently pursuing her MBA Hospitality degree and is a Senior Membership Service Representative for the Miami Dolphins. She shares details about her current role, why she decided to pursue an MBA Hospitality degree, and how one might prepare for a career in event sales and customer service.
● An interview with Haylee Nelson, forthcoming MBA Hospitality graduate and flavor creator at Ben & Jerry’s, about how her academic background in hospitality has helped her in her role, and what she’s learned from creating unique, small-batch ice-cream flavors for guests of Ben & Jerry’s factory.
● A feature on Steve Townsend, MBA Hospitality alumnus, who has 40 years of experience in the hospitality industry with expertise in corporate hotel management and launching new properties, on why he decided to pursue a master’s degree in hospitality.
● An article written by Rex Warren, PhD, Johnson & Wales University professor and 30-year hospitality veteran who served in such roles as SVP and CFO at Starwood Hotels and Resorts, on the true value of a hospitality degree in the industry.
Read Skift Table for Essential News on the Business of Restaurants
Subscribe to our daily newsletter to follow industry trends, creativity, and innovation as we help define the future of dining out.